SunWorship: How to Find a Safe Sunscreen
Dr. Gabrielle Francis
Tips for Safe Sun Worship:
- Don’t Get Burned: Red and Blistered skin means too much sun and increases Skin Cancer risks.
- Cover Up: Enhance your beach fashion with Hats, Shirts, Coverups, and Sarongs. They look great and provide the best protection from the UV rays.
- Enjoy Some Shade: Umbrellas, Trees and Canopies can give your skin a rest from the Heat and harmful rays.
- Activate your Vitamin D: Get 20-30 minutes per day of Sun on the skin to activate Vitamin D and improve Immunity. It is best to get the sun early in the am or early evening so that the rays are not too strong.
- Activate Serotonin and Melatonin: Get 20-40 minutes per day of Sunlight without Sunglasses on. This activates Serotonin, the happy hormone, during the day and Melatonin, the sleep hormone, at night. It helps to get your Sleep/Wake cycle in harmony.
- Sunglasses: Fashionable for Style and Good Quality Sunglasses must have UV protection to prevent damage to the cornea of the eyes.
Tips for Finding a Safe Sunscreen:
- Don’t be Fooled by High SPF: Studies show that SPF 15-50 are best. SPF over 50 gives a false sense of security and tempts you to overdo the time in the Sun. Plus, research does not show it to be more protective.
- Avoid Harmful Sunscreen ingredients: These chemicals are considered “endocrine disruptors” and may cause hormonal problems in both men and women.
- Vitamin A
- Choose Mineral Sunscreens: They are small nanoparticles that protect and have very low toxicity. They provide good protection but need to be applied often.
- Zinc Oxide
- Titanium Oxide
- Avoid Sprays: Sprays may carry harmful aerosols that are bad for your lungs and the environment. Creams and lotions are much better for you.
- Re-Apply: Mineral Sunscreen often especially after swimming and sweating.
Check out The Environmental Working Group to see how your favorite
Sunscreen rates for health and safety.
You can get the 2020 Sunscreen Guide for the Top 10 this year!
Finally, follow your day in the Sun with some nourishing Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, or Moringa Oil Based Products to soothe, hydrate, and moisturize Sun Kissed Skin.
Wishing you Good Sun Vibes!